Saturday, June 9, 2012

Emotional Reactionism to Rand Paul's Endorsement of Romney

Like many Ron Paul supporters, I had an emotional reaction to Rand Paul's endorsement of Romney, anger. I also had a physical reaction, nausea (I think I can still taste the vomit in my mouth).
My intellectual reaction, however, came from my memory of Ron Paul running for Congress as a Republican in 1996. I thought it was a mistake, a sellout. Most of the Liberty movement did as well. We were WRONG. Ron Paul has done more to further our movement in the last 5 years than anyone else has in any of our lifetimes.
We need to take the long view. We all know that an immediate and emotional reaction is more likely to be wrong than one that is tempered by reason, time, and honest analysis. The Patriot Act is a perfect example of a knee-jerk reaction that was wrong.
I have had the benefit of being involved in the Liberty movement for a long time (I'm old). Only in our dreams did we see a surge in our movement like we've seen since 2007.
We have Ron Paul and his decision to fight the system from within to thank for that. I'm not saying that it's the only way, but it has to be part of it. Let's learn a lesson from the Trojan War. We can bang on the walls of the Federal Reserve until our fists bleed, but it will be a hell of a lot easier if someone opens the door for us from the inside.
All that said, I am no fan of Rand Paul. He is not as vocally against military interventionism as his father and he is too socially conservative for my taste, but he has an agenda we can support. He is working with Connie Mack on the Penny Plan which would balance our budget and reduce our debt, he wants to audit the Fed, get rid of the TSA, repeal the Patriot Act, repeal the detention clause of the NDAA, and many other things that further the cause of Liberty.
His endorsement of Romney gives him the political capital to put those issues front and center in the United States Senate. Did you foresee that opportunity three years ago?
We've been spoiled by Ron Paul. He is a giant of integrity and unwavering commitment to his ideals, but let's not forget that along the way, he made a decision to fight the system from within. Rand Paul is a Senator. Did we really expect him not to do the same?
I realize there may still be a little vomit in your mouth too, but I suggest washing it down with a cold beer, thanking Dr. Paul for getting us this far, and preparing for the battles to come.... together.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely agree, except that I think Rand Paul is perfect on social issues. I voted for Ron in the CA Primary this year, and I hope to vote for Rand in 2016 or 2020.

    ReplyDelete